Living in a tropical country gives a lot of advantages to Filipinos, and these include having the best tropical fruits and vegetables we could ever have. Fruits and vegetables, above all, are abundant in vitamins, minerals, as well as antioxidants that could help your body be nourished and be protected from any disease. What’s good about them is that these are all inexpensive and could easily be found anywhere in the country. Here is a list of some delicious fruits in the Philippines that have been recorded to have a lot of nutritional benefits in our bodies:
1. Buko or a Young Coconut – This contains edible flesh or a coconut meat with tons of fiber, fatty acids, iron, manganese, calcium, potassium and vitamins E, C, and B. It contains sugar and electrolytes to rehydrate the body. One common recipe of Buko that is used to treat Urinary Tract Infection is Buko Juice.
2. Avocado – High in monounsaturated fat, this fruit helps lower bad cholesterol and reduce the risk of stroke and heart disease. It is also a good provider of potassium more than a banana can do, and has phytochemicals that could fight some types of cancer.
3. Eggplant – Known to the Filipinos as ‘talong’, this is considered as the healthiest vegetable in the world. It contains a lot of antioxidants that could help in fighting free radicals and protects the cells from transforming into cancer cells, as well as nasunin that functions by delaying the growth of cancerous mass tumor.
4. Papaya – This fruit is rich in fiber, folate, and A, C, and E vitamins, and is also notable for an enzyme called “papain” that helps smooth digestion and fights free radicals for a softer and brighter skin. This also helps mend wounds, protect the immune system, alleviates joint irritation and removes intestinal parasites.
5. Malunggay – Also known as a miracle vegetable, this contains enough nutrition and medicinal benefits. It contains vitamins B and C, iron, amino acids, and beta-carotene. This helps fight malnutrition, some illnesses including fungal and skin infections as well as gastric ulcer and diarrhea.